Wednesday, November 25, 2015

The one where it takes a village.

Tristan has been a real handful lately. First of all, he's decided he's a nudist. He's figured out how to take off all his clothes including his diaper. So far we've had 3 accidents on the floor. I feel a bit like I'm taking care of a puppy. He, however, is not even close to being ready to potty train because he is still non-verbal and he doesn't understand the concept of the bathroom whatsoever other than thinking it's a fun place to shred up toilet paper and get stuff out of cabinets. I was at a loss as to what to do. I was getting him re-dressed sometimes 10 times a day and I was at my wits end. Thank god for my sister who suggested putting zipper sleepers on him backwards. It looks a little funny, but it works! He can't get to the zipper so he can't take it off. Crossing my fingers that this is just a temporary problem and that I don't have to dress my kid backwards for the next 10 years.

They have that saying that it takes a village to raise a child and that couldn't be more true with this kid. He's so different than the girls were at that age. He has no concept of fear. He's all about destruction and running, jumping, and climbing. Another fun thing he has figured out that if he scoots a chair around he can get into high cabinets that he's not allowed into. It's been super fun around here. I pretty much spend every second with my eyes glued to him. If I let my resistance down for one second, it's pretty much always regrettable. For instance, just yesterday I was relaxing, doing dishes, and listening to Adele (God, I love Adele) when Tristan decided to pull the lid off of his sister's very full sippy cup full of juice and poured it all over the floor. So much for me relaxing. I have mopped the floor 4 times already and it's still sticky.

But anyway, I need help from the village again, Tristan just got his big boy bed. He's been climbing out of the crib for months but I've been too scared to try the toddler bed. He's not going to stay in it. HOW DO I GET HIM TO STAY IN IT? There must be some of you that may have ideas to help me out here. I don't even know with this kid. He makes me tired. HELP!

But gosh is he cute! Here's some pictures with the kids and the new bed. They're both quite excited about it.



3 comments:

  1. Good to know that Harper and Tristan both have their own beds. That's a healthy thing. Now, to figure out how to get them to sleep in them !! Life has it's challenges. We are rooting for you and Zack. Love you and wish you well. Stay strong! Papa Kevin added a postscript, " Two words, electrical fence"!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Do the kids have their own room? You'll get it. Boys are challenging!! For sure! Consistency is key for them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They share a room! I'm hoping that since his sister stays in bed that he'll get the hang of it!

      Delete