Thursday, December 11, 2014

The one about memories and tinkering.

There's something oddly satisfying to me about setting up mine and Harper's "Calico Critter City", as she so affectionately calls it. I don't know if it's the fact that I dreamed of having them as a little girl when they were still called Maple Town or if it's just tinkering with the tiny little pieces and arranging them that I find calming. My dad said he really thinks it's a good hobby and collectible because he says it's something that Harper won't forget. Our connection over shared interests even if it is a little goofy for an adult to like them. I don't care. 

I think my dad is right in that. My brain has blockaded most of my memories from childhood. Shrinks have told me that this is my brain's defense mechanism to block me from the harm and trauma. That's cool and all, but it would be nice to remember anything about being a kid. Pretty much the only memory I do have is of my sister and mom and I getting snow cones. I'm happy that Harper will have cool memories of us putting together "Calico Critter City" and not just one memory of snow cones. 

Harper wakes up most every day with eager anticipation asking if Daddy can watch Tristan so we can play Calico Critters. My awesome husband went out late in the night the other night to get a big, tall wooden table off of Craigslist so brother bear couldn't reach all our tiny pieces and we could leave our City up and not have to set up the City over and over again. He's awesome like that. I couldn't ask for a better husband. He doesn't think I'm a weirdo for liking dollhouses and he thinks it's fun and cool that I'm a nerd. I've got a couple things close to set up. We decorated our house for Christmas. :) Here are some pictures:
Our House 
Farmer's Market

Sophie Snowbunny in front of the Farmer's Market
Christmas Morning in Calico City

Anyway, this is how Harper and I spend most of our time and I'm okay with that, because we are making memories that will last both of us a lifetime. What are some special activities you do to bond with your kiddos? Leave me a comment and let me know.

With love,

Alex

No comments:

Post a Comment