Saturday, December 13, 2014

The one about cheese enchiladas!

We are on a no processed foods kick over at the Stroup household. I'm also in to anything that I can stick in my oven. Mostly because it helps keep my house warmer for that hour when I'm cooking. Also a fan of copious amounts of cheese. Pretty sure I should have been born in Wisconsin.
Today I'm featuring a recipe from another blog Gimme Some Oven. Last night I had a hankering for some authentic Mexican food. I had some corn tortillas and some cheese, so it was on! This recipe is vegetarian friendly and all delicious. Gimme Some Oven provides the sauce, I provide the tortillas and cheese. ;)



INGREDIENTS:

  • 2 Tablespoons Canola Oil
  • 2 Tablespoons Flour
  • 4 Tablespoons Chili Powder
  • 1/2 Teaspoon Garlic Powder
  • 1/2 Teaspoon Salt
  • 1/4 Teaspoon Cumin
  • 1/4 Teaspoon Oregano
  • 2 Cups Vegetable Stock (Or Chicken Stock for Non Veg)
  • 8 Ounces of Cheese (I used half White Cheddar, Half Monterey Jack) I always freshly grate mine with my food processor. Cellulose additive in shredded cheese always takes away some of the melt and deliciousness. 
  • 10 Corn Tortillas
DIRECTIONS:
  1. Preheat your oven to 375.
  2. Heat the oil in a saucepan. It should be starting to get bubbly.
  3. Add flour and mix until there are no clumps.
  4. Add all seasonings. 
  5. Slowly add stock and stir until smooth.
  6. Heat for 10-15 minutes or until sauce begins to thicken slightly. Woohoo! The first part is done and you just made the best enchilada sauce you've ever tasted! (Thanks Gimme Some Oven!). 
  7. Next you need to flash fry your tortillas in the sauce. Grab a pair of tongs. Dip the tortillas in your sauce and cover the entire thing. This goes fast and if you don't take them out fast enough, your tortillas will start to disintegrate. So you basically dip it in, pull it out, throw it in your pan to fill. Repeat with all tortillas. 
  8. Now you are ready to fill those tortillas up! Take some cheese and plop it in the middle of your tortilla and then roll it up. Repeat for all 10. Leftover cheese? There's an app for that. Throw that all over the top of your enchiladas. Can you ever have too much cheese? The answer is no. This is why it's hard to lose weight over here. :) Got leftover enchilada sauce, I have a remedy for that, too. Throw in a can of pinto beans with the sauce, a little milk, and grab a potato masher and make some refried beans. You're welcome. 
  9. Bake your enchiladas for 15-20 minutes or until the cheese is melty, gooey, and delicious. If you love calories, throw some sour cream on there. Eureka! Heaven is on Earth.

Hope you enjoy! My family ate all of them. Even my pickiest teenager said they were good. Picky toddler tried it, said it was delicious, and then refused to eat them on principle. She's in a super fun stage in case you were wondering. Seriously, though, all bellies were happy. Plates were cleared. No leftovers. That is a sign of delicious if I've ever seen one. 


2 comments: